Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Now it's official: Neil Gaiman is on my direct-to-buy list. As in, the authors whose books I buy without downloading the sample, without checking the reviews, without reading the summary, if the fancy strikes me.
"The Graveyard Book" is wonderful. I can't believe I haven't read it before. I'm already going into good book withdrawal.
Even though the novel starts with the triple murder of a couple and their eldest child the story has some really sweet aspects, like Bod's relationship with his adoptive parents.
The characters were awesome. Bod is an amazing main character and I have a bit of a crush on his guardian, Silas.
I also liked the rest of the characters, they felt incredibly real.
All this would have been enough to make this a great read, but the best thing about it was the writing. It's beautiful, heart-stoppingly good. I loved it. If everything else about "the Graveyard Book" had been awful, it still would have gotten three stars, just for the writing. That's how good this is. 
Read this book. I mean it, read this book, and make sure your children do too. It's fantastic and you'll love it, I'm sure of it. 
And, as mistress Owens' song goes:
Kiss a lover
Dance a measure,
Find your name
And buried treasure... 
Face your life
Its pain,
Its pleasure,
Leave no path untaken
 
Rating: 
★★★★★ 

1 comment:

  1. He is an exceptional writer. Really unique! After reading The Ocean At The End Of The Lane I was spellbound.

    ReplyDelete