Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Renegade by J.A. Souders


I could see all of it coming from miles away. The so-called "big reveal" was pretty clear early into the book. 
I don't really see why Souders chose to make her villain into Hitler 2.0: only blond-haired, blue-eyed, pale and beautiful people are allowed in her utopia. I don't really see why she'd coincidentally choose that. Why not make it based upon intelligence? Or upon a good immune system? I can't help but think that it would have been more compelling that way.
That being said, I enjoyed this novel. The main character, Evelyn, was likable and it was great to see a female lead kick some ass, instead of being constantly saved by the hero.
Speaking of the hero, he was kind of bland, but at least he had all the minimum requirements to be a decent human being. Sadly, that's not something I see very often in YA literature.
Their love story developed in a way that felt quite natural and not insta-lovish. Which is always a plus. 
I'm glad I read it, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, which will come out this fall. 

Rating:
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment