Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

The main problem I have with this book is that it drags and drags and drags for the first half, before there's any semblance of plot.
Clara goes to school, pines for Christian, mopes, finds out some more about angels. Rinse and repeat.
It's a shame, because the concept is really interesting and original. Though paranormal romances with angels are popular lately, I've never seen anything quite like this.  
I enjoy the fact that there are various ranks of angel-bloods and I like the idea of different shades of gray, that angels aren't either completely good or bad.
The fact that Clara isn't a damsel in distress and that she actually has powers is great and (sadly) original, more novels should do that kind of thing.
Tucker is a likable character and a cute love interest. He's nice to her and he's quite charming. That's another thing that should happen in more YA.   
I hate that I haven't liked this novel all that much. There's so much potential in there, but the execution is poor. Since there was little to no action in a good chunk of he book I wasn't motivated to keep reading. I had to force myself not to put this book down and I ended up only reading it every couple of days, which is why it took me so long to read it in the first place. 
A lot of pages were spent setting up the events for the climax, which is tricky to pull off. The first few Harry Potter novels did the same thing, but there it was actually handled well. Here, it just makes for a boring novel. 
I rated this book two and a half stars on five for its potential. It's a shame that it was so slow, I probably would have loved it otherwise. 

Rating:
★★ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment