Friday, December 6, 2013

Review: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

I have a lot to say about this book. I think it's the one I like best in this series, the one I had more fun reading, the one that has some of the best moments. Interestingly, it's also the one who has the most things I don't like.
It's because in "House of Hades", Riordan took more risks than he did in the last few books, which were, admittedly, kind of bland. And risks sometimes pay off and sometimes they don't, but at the end of the day, risks need to be taken for something to be memorable. 
First things first: the humor. In this book, it touched some of its highest and lowest points. What I hated the most was Gale the farting polecat. 
I mean... really? That was a new low. 
The part with Nyx was brilliant. I actually laughed out loud, which I don't do much while reading, I usually just sort of grin if the scene is funny enough. And it's incredible it's in the same book as Gale. 
On the character development angle, this book was great. I especially liked what Riordan did with Nico. I'm not going to spoil what it is, but I thought that was great, and I'm really glad it was included, both because I think it's an important theme and because it was very well-done. 
I also liked Jason's character. He wasn't that interesting in the last few books, but in this one, both his conflict and his actions worked to make him more likable and relatable.
Annabeth and Percy's romance was very sweet but not cheesy or over-the-top, which it could easily have been, given the predicament they were in. 
Another love story I liked was Leo's. He and his love interest work very well as a couple and though they met and fell for each other quite fast, it didn't feel forced or overly dramatic. I hope to see more of them in the last book. 
The part set in Tartarus was really interesting, both because the stakes are higher than usual for the main characters, because they don't know what will happen to them if they die in the Pit, and because it rises a series of interesting questions about destiny, wether or not monsters are able to choose their role - and if the demigods were really justified in killing them. 
That, as well as other situations in the book, proves to be morally challenging for the heroes. I liked that side a lot - you don't see that very often, especially in middle grade level books. 
"House of Hades" was great, and I can hardly wait for the sequel to come out. 


Rating:
★★★

1 comment:

  1. Great Review!
    I have not read this series by Rick Riordan yet, but I have finished his Percy Jackson series, and loved it. This is definitely on my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete